Change of plans…
The past couple days have been fairly quiet. Not much really can be done until the new valves for the Shunts come in. Can’t really do much else either until there is O.R. time available. Should he deteriorate quickly, he would be taken into the O.R. of course and given another type of Shunt, if his aren’t in.
Patrick is still getting heachaches, but none like the other day thankfully. He has been going down to the Child Life Playroom and doing some crafts for about 20-30min depending on how he feels, which is good and gets him out of his room for a bit.
Today a Ventriliquist was visiting on the floor, her name was Sue and she brought Boomer the Mouse with her. She came and saw Patrick twice today, he liked that and thought she/they were pretty funny. Boomer told some jokes, made some funny comments, asked Patrick questions and sang a few songs ranging from The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars, The Black Eyed Peas to Kesha. He liked the singing. Patrick likes Jeff Dunham, so it was no surprise he liked Sue & Boomer. Thankfully she caught him feeling not too bad to enjoy it.
This morning at 7:30am was Patrick’s CT Scan. Dr. Ranger and Dr. Pinkoski were by afterward to see how he was doing and discuss the results. It was nice and surprising to hear Patrick’s ventricles have come down a little. They still are large for him, but down from previous, which was good news. What does that mean?
It means, regardless what the scan says/shows, the programmable valves on his current Shunts are not working properly and still need to be replaced. The valves will arrive Tuesday and surgery will be Wednesday. Again, if he has issues and deteriorates in the mean time, he will go in to the O.R. and have different shunts put in. We are all hoping he can hold off till his come in, as they are specific for/to him for a reason and have been working great for him the past 6-7 years till now.
The change in plan is the following:
They were going to allow Patrick and LOA (Leave of Absence) for a night, to go home and get out and away from the hospital for a little bit. My concern was if he had another headache like the other day, I have nothing here to deal with that kind of pain for him. They said they would send a script home for codeine just in case. At that point I felt ok with that and being away for one night.
The more I thought about it, the more I thought perhaps going home for the weekend would be a good idea. It would mean having to be dishcharged instead of having an LOA. The LOA’s are only 8-10 hrs typically, but one overnight was agreed for Patrick. Anything longer requires discharge. At first, I didn’t want to go through the whole admitting thing again, or sit in emerge if something happened while at home.
I decided it would be ok and good for everyone to go home, sleep in our own beds, no interruptions, comforts of home, cooked meals etc…and I had the script to fill if he got another bad headache. Of course there were stipulations, obvious as well, he was to be watched, if he deteriorated get him in, if he had bad pain again give him codeine and bring him in if necessary…AND…we had to be back Tuesday after lunch to be admitted again and prepped for surgery and see anesthesiology. We can sit around at home and be more comfortable.
I am ok with him home and having the script, just in case. I know him and what he’s like and what happens with him well enough and Dr. Ranger knows I am good that way, that if i have concerns, I will take him in. If he goes into emerge with pain that bad in his head,…we won’t be waiting long!!
So…we are home, although temporarily, we are home! Script filled and relaxing. Sleeping interruption free and being comfortable. 🙂