Monday evening, shortly before I left for the night, I happened to walk by the Nurses station and was waved over because Neurosurgery was on the phone.
After speaking with her for about 20min on the phone, the plan was to do a Shunt Series that night (if they could get one) or the next day. We didn’t expect to see any issues since it seems that the programmable part of each of the shunts is the problem, not the rest of the shunts. After having the O.R. closed down today due to not enough anesthesiologists and Dr. Ranger not being able to get any O.R. time from anyone else, surgery was sure to be a go for next Wednesday. Sooner, if he deteriorated alot and quickly.
Shunt Series was done Tuesday morning, all was good, as expected. The rest of the day was waiting to see if anyone from the teams would be around to see us. No one came.
Patrick has been getting more symptomatic since he’s been there, more so since the setting adjustments. He has his moments where he looks as if nothing is wrong, then…the discomfort and headaches come.
Today, Wednesday, Dr. Ranger and a Resident came to see us this morning. After some discussion more of the plan seem to come together.
Valves (programming parts) have been ordered. Typically they are able to keep Codman Shunts in stock now that they are easier to get, but…of course there’s a but…Patrick’s are specially made and have to be ordered. They will take a couple days to come in.
As I mentioned previously, since she is not able to get some O.R. time this week, surgery will be done next Wednesday. A CT will be done on Friday to see how things are looking as well.
Today was a rough day for Patrick. This afternoon, a headache came on so fast and so painful, Neurosurgery had to be paged and Codeine was ordered for him. You can tell when he is discomfort. He gets so agitated and fidgety, his pupils gets small, he repeats himself multiple times and seems to go into a daze at times. Those are the main symptoms. He had been given Tylenol not to long before this and it doesn’t help at all. He even tells me before hand that it doesn’t help. This afternoon, he was in tears from the pain!
He’s developed a tolerance to the pressure and pain from dealing with it for so many years, that when he says it hurts, you KNOW he’s in pain. After the Codeine kicked in, that helped SO much! What a relief! Before I left this evening, his headache was coming back. He was given Tylenol and I’m hoping that he can get through tonight without needing the Codeine.
I know it’s a long wait. We were initially given a choice of going home and coming back next week for the surgery, but because his headaches are becoming more frequent and his symptoms more often, he is going to be kept admitted as everyone feels better that if he deteriorated quickly, things could be done much more quickly having him already here.
This afternoon proved that point. Had he been at home, I had nothing here that could have helped him get through that pain. I would have ended up bringing him back in, and likely would have had to sit in emerge for hours before something was able to be done.
I feel comfortable knowing Patrick’s surgeon is looking out for him and doing her best to get him better. She knows Patrick’s history and how difficult and complicated things get with him. Other Doctors who are not familiar with him, unfortunately don’t always listen or believe the facts you give them regarding your child and alot of time is wasted. Because Patrick, as we know, does NOT go ‘by the books’, some Doctors won’t get that. That’s happened before, and thankfully the one this weekend was able to understand and learn quickly.
Although it’s going to be a long week waiting for the surgery, he is in the best place. It will likely take a few days recovery, hence the week and the half more in hospital till we can go home.
Thank you everyone for your kind words, thoughts, prayers and hugs. It’s appreciated very much!
Update again soon,
Have a great evening!